ASETS Objective: "...to help improve the employment opportunities of aboriginal peoples and enable them to fully participate in the Canadian economy in a relationship based on mutual trust, respect and openness."
ASETS offers nine programs to assist clients:
1. Aboriginal Skills Training Option 6. Aboriginal Summer Student Employment 2. Aboriginal Employee Skills Enhancement 7. Aboriginal New Start Program 3. Aboriginal Job Creation Partnership 8. Aboriginal Child Support Initiative 4. Aboriginal Labour Force Promotion Option 9. Aboriginal Community Development Program 5. Aboriginal Business Initiative Program Below is a more detailed description of theses programs. 1. Aboriginal Skills Training Option To assist clients in obtaining, maintaining, or increasing their current skill levels through a variety of training courses offered by recognised and accredited training institutions.
2. Aboriginal Employee Skills Enhancement To provide an opportunity to those members who are employed to upgrade their skills, to maintain their existing positions or to advance within their company/ organization.
3. Aboriginal Job Creation Partnership To support job creation and on-the-job training projects that meet the needs of the employer. It provides work experience to unemployed persons by creating temporary jobs.
4. Aboriginal Labour Force Promotion Option To create an opportunity for clients to gain access into the labour market by providing them with on-the-job work experience with potential employers.
5. Aboriginal Business Initiative Program To allow participants to concentrate on developing a sustainable business by providing then with financial assistance while they receive business advice and support.
6. Aboriginal Summer Student Employment To provide aboriginal students the opportunity to gain career related skills and practical on-the-job work experience during their summer break.
7. Aboriginal New Start Program In order for clients to successfully enter or re-enter the labour market, they may access employment supports that are critical to seeking and attaining employment.
8. Aboriginal Child Support Initiative To provide financial support directly to clients as a part of income support packages for the purposes of obtaining private/alternate daycare services.
9. Aboriginal Community Development Program To support community projects that have a strong emphasis on Employment & Training and that will provide growth and recovery in the First Nation.