Technical Services Department of the Southern First Nations Secretariat has delivered a number of initiatives. Generally these initiatives can be grouped into one of the following areas:
More detailed information on these items is listed below.
Technical Services Department - Program Description
1. Housing Inspection and Other Technical Advisory Services
- Completion of housing inspections (new and renovations).
- Provides advice on existing homes requiring renovations and to homeowners on the operation and maintenance of their homes.
- Provides advice to our member First Nations Housing Departments; on innovative construction materials, building code information, design, heating and ventilating, structural, etc.
- Completion of inspections of commercial buildings and other infrastructure.
- Completion of screening and interviews of candidates for jobs with our member First Nations.
- An active member of the Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation (OFNTSC) Executive Committee and Board of Directors to ensure SFNS's member First Nations have a strong voice in technical matters.
- Prepares Terms of References (scope of work) for engineering/construction projects.
- Evaluates engineering and construction tenders/proposals and participates as a project team member on engineering and construction contracts.
- Prepares proposal based funding submissions to Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) for construction/renovation projects.
- Assists our member First Nations with the Annual First Nation Infrastructure Investment Plan (FNIIP) that is submitted to INAC.
- Prepares and submits to INAC environmental screening assessments that meet the requirements of Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) for projects identified on the FNIIP.
- Coordinates water and wastewater training for operators from our member First Nations.
- Coordinates emergency response plan training for our member First Nations provided by OFNTSC.
- Coordinates First Nation member's attendance in other various technical training workshops, conferences and tradeshows.
- Prepares architectural concept drawings for new house construction, house and building renovations, handicap ramps and utility lay-outs.
- Utilizes GIS data for description of project area, project component definitions, and consultation and project mitigation measures for CEAA environmental screening assessments that are submitted to INAC.
- Shares and presents GIS data and mapping with other First Nations communities to support community planning and other initiatives (e.g. archeological studies).
- Assists in completion of the Asset Condition Reporting System (ACRS) comprehensive reports that are required by INAC on a triennial basis.
- Assists in completion of the ACRS annual update reports that are required by INAC.
- Assists in completion of the Community Infrastructure and Housing Annual reports that are submitted to INAC.
- Assists in completion of the Capital Projects Report (Certificate of Completion) that is submitted to INAC for new construction/renovations.